Travel and Street Photography Workshops with an In-Public photographer Maciej Dakowicz. Very small groups and very reasonable fees. True adventures and true learning experiences. An array of exciting locations – countries such as India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Cambodia and cities such as Mumbai, Kolkata, Varanasi, Bangkok, London, Paris and Istanbul.
A photography workshop with Maciej Dakowicz is an intensive travel and street photography adventure intended for a small group of usually three or four participants. The small number of participants makes it very different to other workshops, which are mostly overcrowded and offer little in the way of personal feedback or tuition from the tutor. Also Maciej not only discusses participant photos, but shoots daily in pairs with them. The aim of the workshop is not only to bring home some great pictures but through Maciej’s tuition to improve photographic craft (composition, light, social skills), learn about editing your work and find your own personal style. Apart from various aspects of travel and street photography participants also learn how to travel independently on a limited budget, so that after the workshop each of the participants should be confident enough to undertake any independent photographic trip to a destination of their choice. Most imporantly, participants return from the workshop confident, inspired and motivated to keep developing as photographers.
Every day during the trip, participants shoot in pairs or on their own. In general there are no larger group shoots, so there are never too many people trying to take the same shots. Maciej shoots with a different person each day, so there are ample opportunities to observe the way Maciej works and approaches subjects, and to learn his tricks and techniques. At the end of each day everyone gets together to discuss and edit their photos. An encouragement and advice is given towards working on a personal project and produce a photo essay at the end of the trip.
During the workshop Maciej also presents a series of slideshows in which he discusses street photography and practical aspects of it. The presentations give an opportunity for the group to learn what makes a good photograph, how to make one and what can spoil it.
A very small size of group means a high level of participant interaction with Maciej so that everyone receives his full attention. Maciej observes the way each participant works with the camera, approaches subjects and gives personal advice on improving their photographic art. Travelling together for a longer period of time means that participants get to know each other well, exchange experiences, knowledge, good times and perhaps even form lasting connections.
• Serious interest in photography and desire to learn and improve.
• Digital camera, laptop for displaying/sharing photos and perhaps an external drive for backup. If you choose to shoot with a film camera you will not be able to receive critiques of your workshop photos.
• Good camera and editing software proficiency (you must know your camera equipment well and be ready to shoot from the first day).
• Fit, active and willing to take pictures every day for the duration of the trip (so no whining about being tired or not inspired, although a day off once a while is an option).
• Being ready to be challenged and step out of your comfort zone – be ready for talking to strangers and visiting unusual places.
• Being prepared for some difficult travel conditions (long train rides and bus travels on bad roads),
• Budget travelling/backpacking friendly – local restaurants (we choose clean, cheap and yummy), budget hotels (we pick the best budget options with best price/quality ratio – private bathrooms, fan/AC).
• Sense of humour (needed when the weather is poor, the bus is broken or everybody is tired or hungover).
• Multiple opportunities to shoot alone with Maciej, observe him at work and learn his tricks and techniques.
• A regular feedback on the work you produce and on the way you work.
• A vast improvement of you photographic and social skills – understanding of the light and composition, higher personal confidence.
• Unlimited access to Maciej’s travel and photography experience.
• A promotion of your work by Maciej on his website, Flickr and Facebook.
• Unforgettable experiences of visiting fascinating places with a like minded group of photography enthusiasts.
Most probably you will take some of the best pictures of your life during the trip. Not only your photography will change, but you as well. All will be different.
You will also be able to join the “Maciej Dakowicz Photography Workshops” group on Facebook (link to the group). This group is a small online community where participants of Maciej’s workshops interact, share their experiences, photos and plan future photo adventures.
• 19 – 28 April 2014 – ten days of travel and street photography in Kolkata and Varanasi.
• 28 July – 3 August 2014 – a week of street photography in Istanbul with In-Public photographers Maciej Dakowicz and David Solomons.
• 6 – 12 August 2014 – a week of street photography in Istanbul with In-Public photographers Maciej Dakowicz and David Solomons.
There will be more workshops in Asia in 2014, starting in India in October, stay tuned.
• 7 – 13 April 2014 – a week of street photography in Mumbai.
• 17 – 30 March 2014 – two weeks of travel and street photography in central India. Organised together with Doc! Magazine.
• 27 January – 9 February 2014 – two weeks of travel and street photography in Myanmar (Burma).
• 10 – 23 February 2014 – two weeks of travel and street photography in southern Myanmar (Burma).
• 13 – 19 January 2014 – a week of street photography in Bangkok.
• December 2013 – a week of street photography in Mumbai.
• November 2013 – two travel and stret photography workshops in India.
• October 2013 – a week of street photography in Mumbai, India.
• September 2013 – a week of street photography in Mumbai, India.
• June 2013 – travel and street photography workshop in Albania.
• May 2013 – two travel and street photography workshops in Istanbul in May 2013.
• Jan/Feb 2013 – two travel and street photography workshops in Bangladesh.
• Nov/Dec 2012 – two travel and street photography workshops in Mumbai and North India.
• June 2012 – travel and street photography workshop in Istanbul.
• Jan 2012 – travel and street photography workshop in Gujarat, India.
• Nov/Dec 2011 – travel and street photography workshop in North India.
• June 2011 – travel and street photography workshop in Jordan.
• Mar 2011 – Travel and Street Photography Workshop in Tunisia.
• Nov/Dec 2010 – Travel and Street Photography Workshop in North India.
• Jun 2010 – Travel and Street Photography Workshop in North India and Kashmir.
ABOUT Maciej Dakowicz
Maciej is an experienced Polish photographer, traveller, photography teacher and gallerist based in Mumbai, India. He holds a PhD in computer science, but abandoned science to focus on photography. He is one of the founders of the cult Third Floor Gallery in Cardiff, a member of the Wideangle photo agency, the international street photography collective In-Public and the un-posed Polish street photography collective. He has worked on various photographic projects in the UK and abroad and his interests are in documentary, travel and street photography.
Maciej’s photos have been widely published and exhibited around the world, shown at photo festivals (including Visa Pour l’Image international festival of photojournalism in Perpignan, France) and he is a recipient of numerous awards. He was profiled among 46 leading street photographers in the “Street Photography Now” book published by the British publisher Thames & Hudson, who also published Maciej’s first monograph – Cardiff After Dark in October 2012.